Saturday, March 27, 2010

Helen's Pears With Tapioca



This is one of Helen's recipes I think I'd just as well pass up. It does not sound appetizing to me in any way. I am not over fond of tapioca, and I would prefer to use fresh rather than dried pears, but if you have some dried fruit sitting around, perhaps this is a recipe you might want to try. I like dried fruit, I just don't know that this is a dessert that calls to me to try it. If it does you, and if you make this, let me know how it tastes.

Helen's Pears With Tapioca

1/2 cup tapioca*
3 cups boiling water
1/3 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups dried pears*
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup marshmallows*

Combine tapioca, salt, and boiling water. Cook over hot water until tapioca is clear. Wash pears and remove cores. Steam until tender. Place pears in sauce pan. Add sugar and 1/4 cup water. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Combine with tapioca and lemon juice. Pour into buttered baking dish. Cover with marshmallows. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. 6 servings.
*Do not use instant tapioca.
*You can dry your own pears or order them online.
*Use miniature marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment