Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Iowa Brownies

                                                                                                                                    
These are misnamed as they are more like a sheet cake than a true brownie, but wow, are these good! And so simple to whip up. I got this recipe out of the food section of my local paper back around 1983, and I've been making them ever since. These hit the spot when you want something decadent, chocolaty, and good. I've also taken these to many pot lucks, funerals, and to those with families whom I am cooking for because of a stay in the hospital or just had a baby. I've made these with and without walnuts, with pecans, and my favorite is with walnuts. If you are out of walnuts, do not despair as these are good anyway! Rich and delicious, a little goes a long way.

Iowa Brownies

1 stick (1/2 cup) real butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 can (16 ounces) Hershey's syrup*
4 eggs
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Icing, follows

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in syrup, then eggs, one at a time, till well-incorporated. Beat in flour. Fold in nuts. Pour into a greased 10" x 15" jelly roll pan. Bake 25 minutes at 350F degrees. Do not over bake! Cool completely, then ice with the following.

Icing

1 stick (1/2 cup) real butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk*
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vanilla

In 2 quart sauce pan, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add sugar, milk, and chocolate chips. Bring to a boil and cook one minute. Stir in vanilla. Immediately pour over cake and allow to cool. Cut into squares to serve.

*I always buy my syrup in a large container and measure out 16 ounces on my kitchen scales. I also no longer buy Hershey's syrup as it contains HFCS, so I use Nestle's Syrup as it does not contain HFCS.
*I often substitute regular milk in place of the evaporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment