Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

                                                                       

There is nothing that says 'comfort' quite like homemade mac and cheese. I've been making this for at least 28 years and my kids always loved it. This is the basic recipe I was given, but I add extra cheese and milk to make it rich and creamy. I never measure this out so I cannot give you the exact recipe I make as I add as I want to as I am making it. This is delicious. Enjoy!

Macaroni and Cheese

8 ounces elbow macaroni*
2 1/2 cups milk
5 Tbls. unbleached flour
3 Tbls. butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 1/4 cups grated American cheese
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce (optional)*

Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
In 2 quart sauce pan, melt the butter and blend in the flour; cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in milk and heat to almost boiling. Add salt and pepper. Cook milk till thickened, then add cheeses to melt.Stir till smooth. Add Worcestershire Sauce, if used. Pour over macaroni. Pour into a large baking dish and bake at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes. If you like, you can add extra grated cheese to the top and put in oven till cheese is melted.
*I sometimes use Rotini noodles in place of the elbow macaroni.
*I do not use the Worcestershire Sauce as I don't like it, but many do.




No comments:

Post a Comment