Thursday, March 29, 2012

Old Virginia Applesauce Cake


                                                                              
I came across this recipe back in 1975 in the food section of the Dispatch. I made it and liked it. There was a cake baking contest at the family reunion I went to that July, and so I made this cake thinking it would be a winner. I had even made a homemade white frosting to go over the cake. I did not win because a couple of the judges did not like raisins! No fair. The winner ended up being a boxed chocolate cake made in a Wilton pan and decorated with a star tip. Really? A boxed cake mix???  Anyway, this is a cake made for anytime, but is especially nice in the fall. I like spice cake, so I like it anytime I am in the mood for a spice cake. It is also an easy recipe to put together.

Old Virginia Applesauce Cake
                                                                 350 degree oven
1/2 cup palm oil shortening*
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream shortening and sugar till light and fluffy. Gradually add applesauce and egg; beat well.
Sift flour before measuring. Then sift flour with baking powder and spices.
Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
Add flour mixture alternately with water to creamed mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts.
Grease and flour a tube pan.
Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or till tests done. Cool five minutes in pan. Invert onto cooling rack. When completely cool, frost with a white frosting of your choice. A brown sugar frosting would also be good.

*The original recipe called for regular vegetable shortening. I do not use vegetable shortening or vegetable oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment