Monday, January 14, 2013

Lori's Hot Fudge Sauce

                              
                                                                                                                                                
    Oh my goodness! This is delicious, rich, and chocolaty. This can be made with a bittersweet chocolate (85% cacao), or with milk chocolate, whichever you prefer. I prefer the bittersweet as I like a more deeper, richer chocolate flavor. This is divine over ice cream, brownies, chocolate cake, over a brownie sundae. However you eat this, it is delicious.
I trnsformed an existing recipe I had found in a cook book from an old church I used to attend and made this my recipe. I changed amounts and added the chocolate, which made a better product.
The hot fudge sauce one finds at the store is made with all kinds of fillers and ingredients one can't pronounce, including high fructose corn syrup, which I try to avoid like the plague.This one is simple with simple ingredients. In my quest to get away from highly processed foods, I enjoy using recipes where I am more in control of what goes into the final product. No, this is not a nutritionally dense or health food, but since we all eat foods once in awhile that are not healthy, I prefer to have something that I make myself. I know that once you make this, you will make it again and again as it is so decadently delicious. And easy. Enjoy!

Lori's Hot Fudge Sauce

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tbls real butter
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk!)
1 tsp vanilla
About 1-2 oz dark chocolate bar, chopped fine (I used Black and Green's Organic 85% cacao bar)
(1/4-1/3 chocolate bar)

Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa into a bowl; set aside.
Melt the butter in a 2 quart saucepan.
Add about 1/4 cup milk to the pan, add the sugar mixture and stir well till smooth.
Add rest of milk and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once at a boil, cook for two minutes. Shut off heat, remove pan, stir in vanilla and chocolate, then stir to mix. The chocolate will melt almost immediately.
Pour into a pint mason jar or two half pint mason jars. Place lids and screw bands on top and let cool. Keeps in fridge for up to two weeks.
Heat to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment