Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Grandma's Pineapple Upside Down Cake


I hadn't been married too long, maybe five or six months, when I called grandma and asked her if she had a recipe for pineapple upside down cake. Whenever I was looking for a recipe I would call her up and she'd give me a recipe out of her collection.
The recipe she gave me was for a layer cake, but I like to make my upside down cake in a 13"x9" pan, so I double the ingredients of the original recipe.
I can remember grandma making pineapple upside down cake a few times. I make it several times a year as it is Lisa and Bob's favorite cake. Lisa usually requests this cake for her birthday and I oblige.
This is a deliciously rich cake easily made from a store-bought cake mix.

Grandma's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 (18 1/4 oz) yellow cake mix*
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 can (16 oz) pineapple slices, drained*
Maraschino cherries (optional)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Make cake mix according to directions on cake box. (You can use drained real pineapple juice in place of water in mix, if desired.)
Melt butter in a 13"x9" pan in oven. Add brown sugar and stir well to mix. Sprinkle on nuts, if used. Arrange pineapple slices over nuts. Place cherries in strategic places around pineapple. Pour cake over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or till cake tests done. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes. Invert onto a plate, then flip onto a serving plate so pineapple is on top; let cool.
*To make this heart healthy, either make your own cake from scratch or my Lori's Yellow Cake (search on here for recipe), or make sure you use virgin olive oil in place of the vegetable oil called for in the cake mix directions.
*You may want to open a second can as they are usually 2 pineapple rings short for a full sheet pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment