Friday, April 9, 2010

Scott's Zucchini Casserole


I do not like zucchini, though I can eat zucchini bread or cake. One summer when our sister Angie came home to visit with the family (her husband was in the military), Scott couldn't come out with us so he sent a zucchini casserole already made up with directions of how to bake it. He made me promise I would at least try it. He told me that this recipe came from a lady who had been married to a farmer, and that it was a great way to use up garden vegetables. Someone had given Scott some extra zucchini and tomatoes and so we ended up with this dish. I tried it like I promised, though I took a very small amount, but I went back for seconds because it was surprisingly good. And that from someone who does not like zucchini! Try this recipe on those in your family who do not like zucchini, and like me, they just might like this dish as it is very delicious. I do not have a recipe with specific amounts, I only have the ingredients and how to make this, so bear with me! The vegetables and cheese, after layered they should be about 1 1/2" from the top of the loaf pan.

Scott's Zucchini Casserole

2-3 young zucchini fresh from the garden or farmer's market, sliced fairly thin
1-2 medium onions, sliced in rings and separated
1-2 fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters or eighths
About 9 slices of American cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
A small handful of saltines crackers, maybe 4-6
1 stick real butter

In a 9"x5" loaf pan, place a layer of about 1/3 of the zucchini, 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the tomatoes, some salt and pepper, and 3 slices of cheese angled like a diamond and overlaying across the top. Repeat two more layers ending with the cheese. Crunch up a handful of saltines and sprinkle down the center of the casserole. Divide the butter up in 8 Tbls. and dot the top of the casserole with the butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The casserole will cook down about 1/4 of the size that it was. Allow to cool a few minutes before spooning out onto plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment