Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Homemade"Bisquick"-Style Biscuit Mix

                                                         
I believe I got this recipe from a 'Hints From Heloise' article in the newspaper back in the mid to late 1970's. I also know I was making and using this around 1976 as I thought it was almost as good as the real boxed version. I am going to post the recipe 'as is' and then post it a more healthy way. I will also post a few tips.
I used to make biscuits, coffeecake, and pancakes from this mix, along with other recipes I would come across on the back of the Bisquick box, except I would use this mix. One year, when I was particularly broke, I gave some of this mix doled out in Mason jars to family members, with a recipe card attached for making biscuits . They may not have appreciated it much, but it was all I had to give at the time. I thought it made a nice gift since it was so practical.
In these hard economic times reminiscent of the 1970's recession, knowing how to make much of your own 'convenience' foods is a big help. I hope this recipe is a help to you.

Homemade"Bisquick"-Style Biscuit Mix
*Original version:
8 cups flour
1/3 cup baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
8 teaspoons sugar
1 cup shortening

Mix all dry ingredients together, then blend in shortening and mix until of a fine consistency. Put in container and seal. This will keep for months in the refrigerator. For biscuits just add 1/3 cup milk to every cup of mix. drop or roll out. Bake at 425 degrees until done, about 15-20 minutes.

Homemade"Bisquick"-Style Biscuit Mix
*Updated healthier version:

8 cups unbleached flour (or half unbleached, half wheat for those of you who like wheat)
1/3 cup aluminum-free baking powder
2 teaspoons real sea salt (pink)
8 teaspoons sugar or Rapadura (see Tropical Traditions website for more info)
1 cup organic palm shortening (see Tropical Traditions website for more info)

Mix all dry ingredients together, then blend in shortening and mix until of a fine consistency. Put in container and seal. This will keep for months in the refrigerator. For biscuits just add 1/3 cup milk to every cup of mix. drop or roll out. Bake at 425 degrees until done, about 15-20 minutes.

*Tips: To make it more like the boxed version, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of buttermilk powder to the dry ingredients. Saco brand makes a good powdered buttermilk. You can find this in the baking aisle of most groceries. (See photo above for product.)
Storing it in a glass container in the refrigerator will make it last for many months as it will not go rancid, but when you want to use it, set out your measured amount and allow to thaw some for easier handling. You can use a plastic container, but I try to use glass as much as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment