Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lori's Fried Rice



                                                                        
Back in July of 1980, my friend, Sandy Mavis Koehler, called me and told me she needed to teach me how to make a fried rice recipe that a Korean friend of hers from work had taught her to make as it was absolutely delicious and addicting. A week or so later, she came over and we made the rice. YUM! I loved it! She was right! Delicious! Addicting!
The original recipe did not have peas in it, but celery chopped finely, and only maybe 5-6 slices of bacon. Over the years, I learned to make this the way I like it with the peas instead of celery (though both could be added), and I added more bacon. This recipe is a 'guesstimate' recipe as I may have the original written down somewhere, but I doubt it as Sandy gave me a 'guesstimate' recipe when she showed me how to make it.
I usually make double or more of this recipe when I am making it, depending on how many I am cooking for, and how much in leftovers I want for later use. My kids love this rice! It is one of their favorite side dishes. I think it is some of the best fried rice I've ever eaten and I think you will think so, too. It is a bit time consuming to make with all the steps, but so worth the effort. Do not be afraid to make this recipe your own by using the vegetables you like best. If you don't like frozen peas, don't use them. You could add celery, mushrooms, leeks, whatever you like to this recipe. It is very versatile to amendments. The bacon is crucial, as is the bacon grease. Don't skimp on either.

Lori's Fried Rice

2 cups water*
2 Herb Ox chicken bouillon cubes*
2 cups instant rice*
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 pound bacon, cooked, crumbled, grease reserved
1 onion, cut fine (minced)
1/2 cup green pepper
About 4-5 baby carrots, finely shredded
1 egg, scrambled with 1 tsp. water
3-4 Tbls. reserved bacon grease*
About 1 Tbls fermented soy sauce, or to taste*

Bring the water and bouillon cubes to a boil; add peas and bring to another boil. As soon as water boils again, add rice, stir, cover with tight fitting lid, and turn off heat. Set aside while you make other foods.
Fry bacon, reserving grease as you fry.
Meanwhile, chop (mince) onions and green pepper, and grate carrots; set aside.
Scramble egg in a skillet sprayed with a bit of Olive oil cooking spray. Remove egg and chop fine, using a fork to mince it up,  then place in a bowl till ready to use.
When bacon is done frying and has cooled, crumble or chop quite small.
Return 2-3 Tbls of bacon grease back to the skillet, then add the vegetables and saute for a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften some. Add in the scrambled egg and bacon. Saute for a few minutes to heat everything up. Either add the rice to the skillet or the contents of skillet to rice (whichever pan is bigger), then stir well to combine ingredients. Add soy sauce and stir well, adding more as needed, to taste. Rice should be a nice brown color when there's been enough soy added.
Serve and enjoy!

* I use Herb Ox bouillon cubes as they have no added MSG.
*You can use chicken broth (homemade or canned) in place of bouillon.
*You can use long cooking rice in place of the Instant Rice, but it is chewier,
*You can use white or brown rice, though I like the taste of white best in this recipe.
*The bacon grease adds to the flavor and taste appeal of this recipe. You can use a bit more, if
  desired.
*You can use regular soy sauce (and I have when out of the fermented), but since soy sauce is not
  good for you unless it is fermented, it is best to use fermented. Can be found online for sale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment