Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lori's Cheesy Easy Quiche


Last night I wanted something different for dinner. I wanted something light, but creamy, delicious, but easy. So I decided to make a quiche. I'd never really made a quiche before, but how hard could it be? So I decided to make something from items I liked, and from things I had in the house. This quiche was created and I loved it! I even had it again for breakfast this morning as it heated up well. You can experiment with ingredients, including the cheeses I used. Like I said, I made this from items I had on hand at the house. You could change the cheeses, the meat used, the vegetables. I actually think some fresh spinach would be good in this, but I didn't have any on hand. Please feel free to use this as is or to make your own cheesy and delightful creation.
It was too hot to turn on the oven so I baked this on my gas grill, but the oven would work even better! Because my grill has a thermometer, I was able to keep the temperature at 350 degrees. I placed the glass pie plate on the top shelf and turned it every 15 minutes. It did take longer to bake it in the grill than it most likely would the oven, but it worked, which is all I cared about. I did place foil over the top of the quiche the last 10 or so minutes of baking as the top was nicely browned, as was the crust, but the center was not quite done. I did not want my quiche to burn.
I made my own pie crust, but I will leave you to make your own from your own favorite pie crust recipe. I am not giving you a recipe mainly because I did not use a recipe when I made my crust as I just threw together 1 1/2 cups of flour, some sea salt, about a 1/2 cup of palm shortening, and some ice water. It turned out amazingly good considering I did not measure well or use a recipe! I am also guesstimating on the amounts of some of the items I used as this was one of those 'throw together' meals I am so fond of creating. But in a recipe like this, exact measurements are not necessary. Enjoy!

Lori's Cheesy Easy Quiche
                                                           350 degree oven
1  9" pie shell, unbaked (make your own)
1 cup grated Mozzarella*
1 cup grated Mexican Cheese Mix*
1 cup Parmesan*
4 large eggs (I used fresh brown farm eggs that were probably extra large)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
About 1 cup small diced ham (I cut the ham into small pieces from a larger slice)*
About 1/2 cup chopped green onions (scallions)*
About 1/2 cup chopped and seeded tomato
About 1/2 cup diced green pepper
Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste

Make your pie dough and place in pie pan; cover and set aside till ready to use.
In a medium bowl, place your cheeses and mix them up; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, place eggs and whipping cream. Blend with an electric mixer till well combined, about 1 minute.
Stir in ham, vegetables, salt and pepper, and the cheese mixture. Stir well to combine.
Pour into prepared pie shell.
Place in center of oven that is preheated to 350 degrees.
Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until top is nicely browned and a knife in center comes out clean.
Cover with foil last 10 minutes of baking, if needed, so quiche does not burn.
Allow to set up for at least 15 minutes before slicing so cheese will set up.
Makes about 8 servings. You can serve this with a side salad and some fresh fruit.

Tips:
*Provolone can be used instead of Mozzarella. Smoked Provolone would give a deeper taste.
*Cheddar cheese or Gruyere can be used for the Mexican cheese.
*Pecorino Romano can be used in place of the Parmesan.
*Really, any cheese combo you want to use can be used.
*Bacon, breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, Chorizo, pepperoni, or no meat can be used in place of
  ham.
*Any vegetables can be used: diced asparagus, fresh spinach, finely chopped broccoli, red or yellow
  onions, sliced zucchini, jalapenos for a kick, mushrooms, any favorite vegetables. I used what I had
  on hand and liked.
*You can add some fresh or dried parsley, which I thought of after this was in the oven...or some
   fresh snipped chives.


No comments:

Post a Comment