Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lori's Peanut Butter Cookies



                                                                       

I don't remember where I got this recipe, though I do believe I got it and revised it some from an old neighbor/friend of mine named Stella. This would have been back in the mid-1980's. I've had a lot of peanut butter cookies, but I really like these. I have made these most every year for Christmas as my husband and kids love these. I've made several thousand of these over the years and froze them in the freezer for gift giving at Christmas, but they are good anytime of the year and would be a nice dessert from home to send to school with your kids. No preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, and no trans-fat when made with palm shortening. I know sugary treats are not exactly the highest nutrition-wise, but everyone indulges occasionally, and these are worth an occasional indulgence. Get the kids involved and make it a baking day at your house!
When I bake these again I will take a picture, but till then.....

Lori's Peanut Butter Cookies
                                                       Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3/4 cup shortening (I use organic palm shortening)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed*
3/4 cup sugar*
2 large eggs, slightly beaten*
1 cup peanut butter*
2 1/2 cups flour, scant*
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt*

In large bowl, cream shortening with both sugars till light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Blend in peanut butter till well mixed.
In medium bowl, combine sifted flour, baking soda, and salt, if used. Add to batter and blend well.
Roll dough into one-inch balls. (Use lightly floured hands~powdered sugar works well.)
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Flatten with tines of a fork that has been dipped in flour and make a criss~cross pattern.
Bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes. Allow cookies to set up for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly~covered containers. Freezes well. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Tips:
*You can use an organic sugar instead of conventional.
*Rapadura or Sucanat can be used in place of regular sugar.
*I try to always use farm fresh eggs directly from a farm.
*I use either Skippy or Jif 'Natural' peanut butters. You can use any natural peanut butter.
*You can use creamy or chunky, it is your choice.
*Do not pack your flour or you will have dry cookies. When I measure the flour, I leave some out.
*I almost never bake with salt so the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment