Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dutch Oven Bean Dinner

                                   
                                                                        

I got this recipe from a woman whom I used to go to church with back in the 1980's and 90's. She used to bring this to our church suppers and she also had it printed in one of our church cook books.
This is really good meal to make to take for pot lucks, tail-gating parties, or just to make and eat on a cool day. I've had other versions of this dish, but this one is the best I've ever had, which I think is due to the addition of some liquid smoke flavoring that elevates the taste above the others. Other recipes I've had are bland-tasting and do not measure up to the taste of this one. This recipe can be eaten 'as is' as a side dish, or used over rice.
Many people like it because it uses such a small amount of meat. I once sent this recipe in to a magazine where it was published, and the responses I recieved were very favorable. Wish I could remember which magazine, but since it was over 15 years ago, I just can't remember. I've submitted recipes to many places such as the local newspaper for their Food Section, in recipe contests, and to magazines, so that is why I can't remember which one, though I know it was a magazine. Regardless, this is a good and easy recipe to make for any occasion. A side of my homemade Yankee Cornbread would also help to round this out.
This recipe is an older one and so the sizes of the cans are a tad bigger than what you will find today as the manufacturers have made their products smaller, but you can use 14-15 oz cans in their place.

Dutch Oven Bean Dinner

1 pound ground beef*
3/4 lb bacon, cut in small pieces
1 cup onion, chopped
1 (16 oz) kidney beans, drained
1 (16 oz) Lima or Butter beans, drained
4 (16 oz) cans pork n' beans
1 cup ketchup*
1/4 cup brown sugar*
3 Tbls. white vinegar
1 Tbls. Liquid smoke
Real Sea Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown ground beef in skillet, drain and put in crock pot.
Brown bacon and onions; drain.
Add bacons, onions, and all remaining ingredients to crock pot.
Stir together well.
Cover and cook on low for 4-9 hours.
Great over rice.

*Grass-fed beef is best.
*Make sure your ketchup os high fructose corn syrup-free.
*Organic brown sugar would be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment