Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sun Preserves


                                                                            
Sun Preserves*

This recipe needs to be started the night before.
Add 1 quart sugar to 1 quart strawberries. Cover and let stand overnight in a cool place. In morning, bring to a boil and cook 8 minutes. Pour into a large platter (use a large meat platter or dish) and cover closely with a piece of glass. Set in sun till juice thickens and gels. Cool completely and seal in jars. Keep in refrigerator.

* I got this recipe out of the Columbus Dispatch Food section around 31-37 years ago and copied it verbatim.
I've not ever made this, mainly because I've never had a piece of glass to try this with. Make sure the glass you use does not have sharp edges. We have a glass company on other side of town and maybe next year I will buy a piece and try this recipe. I've read that these taste even better than conventionally made preserves or jam.



No comments:

Post a Comment