Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lori's Brownies





    
These brownies are this recipe doubled, with added walnuts, chocolate chips, and baked in a 
9" x 9" x 2" pan and baked an extra 10 minutes. 


I first made these brownies when I was 11 years old. I found them in the only cook book we owned at the time, a Time Life cook book. This book had many sections, including a child's section, which had this recipe, along with a few others. 

I asked my dad if I could make these brownies. He told me to write down the ingredients I needed and we would buy them when we went shopping that week. I bought the ingredients and have been making these ever since. I have made other recipes, but I always come back to these.
These brownies are chocolatey, rich, crackly on top (as brownies should be), moist with a slight chew, and delicious. They are everything a brownie should be.

I most always double this recipe and bake them in a 13" x 9" x 2" pan. Bake the same 40 minutes. I needed the larger side for my larger family. I also make the larger size when taking to a pot luck or family gathering. If I am just in the mood for brownies, I usually just make this smaller size. 

A few years ago I had had a bakery-style brownie that was thicker and I wondered if I could do that with my recipe. The next time I made them, I doubled the recipe and made them in an 8" pan, but cooked them about an extra 10-15 minutes. They were good, but I thought crowded. The next time I wanted thicker brownies, I baked them in a 9" x 9" x 2" pan (like those above) and baked them for an extra 10 minutes. That is my preference when I want a thicker brownie. 

This is an excellent recipe and it just might become your favorite, too. 

Lori's Brownies
                                               Preheat oven 300 degrees F
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 ounces)
1/4 cup real butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup flour
dash of salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional*
1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional*
Powdered sugar, optional*

Melt the chocolate in a mixing bowl over hot water. Remove from heat. Add the butter and stir till melted. Cool for 5 minutes.*
Add sugar, eggs, vanilla, and beat thoroughly.
Mix in the flour and salt; blend well.
Stir in nutmeats an/or chocolate chips, if used.
Grease an 8" square pan and pour in brownie batter, using the spoon to level the top.
Bake in a slow oven (300 degrees F) for 40 minutes.
Cool completely and cut into squares. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired

Tips:

*I have never melted the chocolate in a bowl over hot water. I have always melted the chocolate and
  butter together in a small saucepan over very low heat.
*While butter and chocolate is melting, measure out all other ingredients and butter the pan; set the
  pan aside till needed.
*Walnuts taste best, but pecans can also be used.
*You can use a doily over the brownies to make a pretty, lacey design with the powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment