Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lori's Brownies

                                                                         
I was 11 years old when I first began to make these brownies. I found them in the only cookbook that my dad owned, a 1961 version of a large coffee table sized Time-Life cook Book. It had many sections in it, including a kids section, and this recipe was in the kids' section. I asked dad if I could make these brownies and he said, yes, write down the ingredients you need for when we go shopping. From then on, anytime I wanted to make a recipe, I made sure to write down the ingredients I would need so I could buy them whenever we went grocery shopping and then I was able to make/bake whatever I wished to try out. That is how I learned to bake/cook, besides watching my grandma and mother-in-law when they cooked. You can learn a lot just by watching others cook.
These are easy, crackly on top, chocolatey, without being too chocolatey, and takes literally less than 5 minutes to throw together, unless you need time to chop the nuts.
These were my kids' favorites when they were small. If it ever cools off again, I will have to make a pan for Bob and I to share.

Lori's Brownies
                                               Preheat oven 300 degrees F
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup real butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup flour
dash of salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional*
Powdered sugar, optional*

Melt the chocolate in a mixing bowl over hot water. Remove from heat. Add the butter and stir till melted. Cool for 5 minutes.*
Add sugar, eggs, vanilla, and beat thoroughly.
Mix in the flour and salt; blend well.
Stir in nutmeats, if used.
Grease an 8" square pan and pour in brownie batter, using the spoon to level the top.
Bake in a slow oven (300 degrees F) for 40 minutes.
Cool completely and cut into squares. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired

Tips:

*I have never melted the chocolate in a bowl over hot water. I have always melted the chocolate and
  butter together in a snall saucepan over very low heat.
*While butter and chocolate is melting, measure out all other ingredients and butter the pan; set the
  pan aside till needed.
*Walnuts taste best, but pecans can also be used.
*You can use a doily over the brownies to make a pretty, lacey design with the powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment