Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Aunt Ellen Trueax's Tuna Potato Casserole

                           
                                                                    
I believe this is one of the first recipes that Ellen sent to me in a letter. At the time, I occasionally made a tuna noodle casserole, but not very often. Over the years I have stopped eating tuna for two reasons: 1) The mercury content of canned tuna, and 2) my taste buds changed and I just don't like it anymore. I do not eat seafood of any kind.
This is an easy recipe for those of you who do enjoy tuna once in awhile, and who are looking for a new way to serve it. I do know that all the recipes that Aunt Ellen sent to me were ones she and Dick enjoyed eating. And I do so appreciate that Ellen took the time to hand write out recipes on recipe cards for me to enjoy with my family. They are now the only heirloom I have of hers.

Aunt Ellen Trueax's Tuna Potato Casserole
                                                  Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1 can (7 oz) tuna*
3 medium potatoes
1 medium onion, diced
1 can (10 3/4 oz) mushroom soup, undiluted*
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp real butter

Drain tuna well and flake; set aside.
Slice potatoes very thin and arrange potatoes, tuna, onion alternately in a well-greased 1 1/2
quart  casserole dish, beginning and ending with potatoes.
Blend soup and milk, pour over casserole.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

Tips:
*Tuna no longer comes in 7 oz cans, but in 6 oz cans.
*You can use homemade soup, but omit 1/2 cup milk if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment