Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Aunt Ellen Trueax's Tropical Dream Cake


                                                                            
At the risk of sounding prudish, I didn't really like the name of this recipe as my aunt had it written out on her card (which I still have). I've had a couple of other recipes that were way different from this one, but which had the same moniker, and so I changed the name of the recipe to something more innocuous. In searching for a similar recipe, I came across an almost identical recipe from Kraft, the only difference was the flavor of the pudding mix and there were no bananas. I will add the alteration in the tips section below, otherwise, it is almost the same recipe. The Kraft recipe name was almost identical to what I'd dubbed this recipe! I was not trying to infringe, but the name just seemed right.
This cake is delicious and refreshing. It is also very rich! I will most definitely have to make it for the next time I get together with my in-laws as I think they would love this. My mother-in-law would love this for certain, but since she is celiac she won't be able to eat any, which is a shame.
This has a very tropical and creamy texture that is sure to please.

Aunt Ellen Trueax's Tropical Dream Cake

1 pkg. yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix*
1 cup sugar
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix*
3-4 bananas*
1 (8oz) Cool Whip, thawed*
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Bake according to directions on box in a 13"x9" pan.
While cake is baking, combine sugar and pineapple in a 2 quart pan; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Pour hot mixture over cake; cool completely.
Prepare pudding mix as directed on box, then pour evenly over cooled cake.
Slice bananas lengthwise and lay on pudding mix.
Cover top with Cool Whip, the sprinkle on coconut and then pecans.
Chill overnight before serving.
Makes 24 servings.
Refrigerate any leftovers.

Tips:
*You can make your own yellow cake from scratch, just make sure it is a moist cake.
*You can substitute lemon flavor for the vanilla.
*The Kraft recipe uses the small size box of pudding mix~so make your choice.
*You can also make your own pudding, if so desired, but make ahead of time so it will be cooled.
*To help keep bananas from browning, dip bananas in some lemon juice or pineapple juice after
   slicing.
*I do not know of a healthier version of whipped topping, at this time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment