Saturday, March 20, 2010

Helen's Coconut Seven Minute Frosting



Helen must have worked awful hard at making this frosting as she used a rotary egg beater the entire time! You can make life easier by using your electric mixer in place of the egg beater. I don't know if Baker's even sells coconut in cans anymore, let alone the "Southern-Style" kind, but I am sure that any coconut would do for this recipe. It has been a few years since I've seen coconut in a can. I can remember selling a lot of Baker's canned coconut for the holidays back when I worked in a grocery, and I can even remember buying it myself when this exact amount was needed (7 ounces).

Helen's Coconut Seven Minute Frosting

2 egg whites, unbeaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 Tbls. water
1 1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can Baker's Southern-Style coconut*

Combine egg whites, sugar, water, and corn syrup in top of double boiler, beat with rotary beater until thoroughly mixed. Place over rapidly boiling water, beat constantly with rotary egg beater, and cook seven minutes, or until frosting will stand in peaks. Remove from boiling water; add vanilla; beat until thick enough to spread. Spread on cake; sprinkle with coconut while frosting is soft. Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 9" layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment