Saturday, March 20, 2010

Helen's Hard Sauce




I obviously was not around when Aunt Helen would have made this sauce, but I do remember grandma making a mince pie or two at every holiday, though she never made this sauce. Most likely because grandpa didn't like it. I don't care for mince pie, though I remember most older people loved it when I was a kid. People must still love mince pie as you see the containers of mince pie filling disappear from grocery shelves at Christmastime. This hard sauce just might be what it needs to give it some pizzaz.

Helen's Hard Sauce

1 Tbls. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup instant dry milk
1/4 cup softened butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

Mix water, vanilla, and dry milk until smooth. Stir in and beat until smooth the butter and sugar. Chill until needed. Makes about 3/4 cup. Serve over warm mince pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment