Friday, March 19, 2010

Helen's Veal or Lamb Pie With Ketchup Biscuits


My copy of The Searchlight Cook Book

Did I or did I not tell you there were a few strange recipes in this collection? Well, this is one of them! I personally do not care for either meat, but if you do, this might be something different to try one night when you don't know what to make for dinner. You can make this recipe as is or omit the ketchup, it is all up to you and what your taste buds think sounds good. As for me, I'm posting this recipe, but I think I'll pass on trying it. I'll leave this culinary delight to your discretion.

Helen's Veal or Lamb Pie With Ketchup Biscuits

2 cups chopped, cooked meat
2 Tbls. lard
2 Tbls. grated onion
1/2 cup canned tomatoes
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can lima beans, drained
2 Tbls. butter

Brown meat lightly in lard. Add other ingredients and pour ino casserole dish.

Helen's Ketchup Biscuits

2 cups sifted flour
1 Tbls. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
4-6 Tbls. shortening
1/3 - 1/2 cup milk

Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture has fine crumbs. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 1-2 minutes. Pat or roll 1/2" thick. Spread with ketchup and roll as for jelly roll. Cut into 1" slices and place cut side down over hot meat mixture. Bake in hot oven (425 degrees) for 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are done. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment